When a piece of potato got stuck in a resident’s airway at Beverley Parklands Care Home in East Yorkshire, care staff knew exactly what do.

Fortunately, as well as First Aid all Yorkare staff are trained how to use a DeChoker and have devices in all of the group’s care homes ready to be called on in a choking emergency.

With the potato removed the resident recovered, and a trip to A&E was not required.

The life-saving response comes just several months after Yorkare were awarded the prestigious Safety In Care Award by the National Association of Safety and Health in Care Services (NASHICS) which you can read about here.