Pensioner Eileen Noble collapsed and died after choking on an oatcake.
The 73-year-old – who was living at a Cheadle nursing home – suffered a cardiac arrest and was rushed to the Royal Stoke University Hospital on Thursday, August 30.
But Royal Stoke medics were unable to save her and she was pronounced dead at the Hartshill complex later that day.
An inquest has now been opened and adjourned into Eileen’s death at North Staffordshire Coroner’s Court.
Coroner Sarah Murphy said: “Paramedics were called to a woman in cardiac and respiratory arrest.
“She had swallowed a whole oatcake and choked. She collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.
“Staff at the Royal Stoke were unable to resuscitate her.”
Source: Stoke on Trent Live