fbpx
Derby Hospital Choking Death
  • Derby Hospital Choking Death

    Patient choked to death on sandwich at Royal Derby Hospital

    A patient choked on a sandwich from a snack box and died whilst in hospital for a swollen leg. Peter Raby a 74-year-old choked and passed away within 15 minutes in June last year.

    An inquest held at Derby and Derbyshire Coroners Court heard how Mr Raby was due to return to his care home when the incident occurred. Two staff on the ward at the time were unable to clear the airway.

    However, despite being unable to clear his airways, they did not call for emergency assistance.

    Julie Robertson, assistant coroner, concluded there was no evidence to suggest there was any negligence on the hospital’s part and there was no evidence to suggest any further action would have actually saved Mr Raby’s life.

    Lauren Collins, a nurse who oversees the 404 respiratory ward at the hospital, said the “shocking” event occurred very quickly and Mr Raby died around 15 minutes after receiving his snack box.

    She said: “I would have expected the emergency buzzer to be pulled. There would have been one nurse and one healthcare assistant (to help out) if the emergency buzzer had been pulled.

    ONS Choking Statistics - Dechoker UK
    Age is a significant factor in choking risk

    “The two staff who were there have both acknowledged they didn’t call the double twos (resuscitation team) because he had already passed away.

    “I think there is an acknowledgement that there were missed opportunities to escalate further and ask the resuscitation team for assistance but it seemed to happen very fast in a very short space of time.”

    Dr Popat, from the Royal Derby Hospital, who initially cared for Mr Raby, said that it would have taken at least 3 to 5 minutes for the resuscitation team to have arrived to Mr Raby – indicating that it could have been too late to save him based on the circumstances of his death.

    But he stressed it was a matter of “ifs and buts”.

    Ms Robertson described the events as “truly tragic” and offered her condolences to the family.

    She said: “The evidence I have heard is that the healthcare assistant heard a spoon drop to the floor and was then alerted to the fact he (Mr Raby) was struggling and had become unresponsive.https://get-latest.convrse.media/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.derbytelegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fderby-news%2Fpatient-choked-death-royal-derby-5435295&cre=bottom&cip=26&view=web

    “The nurse and healthcare assistant immediately came to his aid and tried back slaps and tried to retrieve the food from his airways. They placed him in the recovery position but none of their efforts helped.

    Source: Derbyshire Live