fbpx
Glan Clwyd Hospital Sign
  • Glan Clwyd Hospital Sign

    92-year-old hospital patient died after choking on Brussels sprout

    A pensioner aged 92 died after choking on a mashed up Brussels sprout whilst in a North Wales hospital just days before Christmas.

    James Dingsdale of Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno was being fed the vegetable by a healthcare support worker on the 20th December when the incident happened. He died 2 days later after suffering a cardiac arrest.

    Mr Dingsdale underwent a throat examination at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd and seemed to initially respond well.

    An inquest opening at Ruthin County Hall today heard that the retired company inspector had a history of medical conditions including asthma, diabetes and osteoporosis and was admitted to hospital following a fall on December 12.

    Coroner for North Wales east and central, John Gittins said:

    “Circumstances…indicate that whilst the patient was being fed by a healthcare support worker at lunchtime on December 20th, there was an incident which resulted in a cardiac arrest call being put out.”

    Medics tended to him and a laryngoscopy (examination of the throat) was carried out.

    It showed a “mashed up Brussels sprout occluding the glottic opening”.

    The coroner said Mr Dingsdale had “good bilateral chest expansion” following the procedure.

    “Unfortunately, subsequently, due to his frailty, he declined and passed away,” Mr Gittins added.

    In a report to the coroner, a doctor said it was his belief that Mr Dingsdale died as a result of cardiac arrest due to choking on a mashed up Brussels sprout.

    But it was only a provisional cause of death pending full medical reports.

    Mr Gittins said: “It is not clear whether the choking episode was the entirely unnatural matter which had led to his passing or incidental in the case of the death of a frail gentleman.”

    A full inquest will be held to establish all the facts at a date yet to be fixed.

    Source: North Wales Live