Care Home provider HC-One has been fined £640,00 by the Health and Safety Investigation Unit after a resident in their died after choking on a doughnut taken from a trolley.
The 65-year old woman was on a modified diet at the time, with the court hearing the resident had been offered unsuitable items in the past.
According to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS), who prosecuted, main meals at the home were labelled depending on the requirements for each individual. A trolley containing snacks and cakes however was repeatedly putter her at risk.
Alistair Duncan, Head of the Health and Safety Investigation Unit of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, said: “The death of this vulnerable care home resident could have been prevented if suitable training and procedures were in place.
HC-One Limited left all residents at risk by failing to ensure modified diets were adhered to and staff had the relevant knowledge to keep those in their care safe.“
HC-One Limited have since made changes at the home to ensure the snack trolley has suitable food for all residents. Training has also taken place.