• Customer hails pub staff after nearly choking to death in Wetherspoons

    A Kilmarnock man has thanked pub staff after he choked on a piece of meat in the popular pub chain. Paul Connor thought he was a goner after part of his Wetherspoons mixed grill became lodged in his throat last week.

    The 59-year-old was out with his wife for their regular dinner date at the Wheatsheaf Inn in the Scottish town’s centre.

    Mr Connor’s life was only saved after quick-thinking workers at the pub sprung into action to perform first aid last Monday night.

    “I took a bite of my steak and the next thing I know I couldn’t breathe,” Mr Connor told the Kilmarnock Standard.

    “My wife slapped my back but it didn’t do anything and she shouted for some help because I was seriously choking.

    “At one stage I honestly thought I was a goner and I thought that was it for me.”

    Manager Jen Wilson spotted the bother Paul was in and shouted shift leader David Price over while a colleague called for an ambulance.

    “I turned round and I could see Paul’s wife hitting his back so obviously I knew straight away he was choking. Said Mr Price.

    “I ran to the table as quickly as I could and I moved his wife out of the way so I could get in and do what I needed to do to get the food out of his throat.”

    “I proceeded to bang on his back and when that didn’t work, I put him into the Heimlich manoeuvre.

    “It was really quite a surreal moment,” he continued. “Because it happened in the booths area, the world just seemed to go black and it almost seemed like it was the only place that existed in this moment.

    “It was really weird but I’m very thankful that I was able to get that food out because I think he had been choking for a minute-and-a-half or something.

    “It felt like an eternity. It just happened so quickly. I never thought I’d have to put my first aid to use.”

    Mr Connor, who is a also a qualified first aider, said after the ordeal: “David Price was the real hero. He performed abdominal thrusts which cleared the steak eventually.

    “I felt horrendous afterwards but I was glad to be alive but I was still finding it difficult to breath.

    After the steak was dislodged, the ambulance was cancelled.

    “I’m a first aider myself and I know that when you’ve choked on something you have to make sure your ribs weren’t broken in the process. I went up to A&E just to get checked out and everything was all right.

    “I couldn’t thank the Wetherspoons staff enough and I have to say that David in particular is awesome.”

    Despite his choking scare, Mr Connor insists he would be prepared to order the mixed grill during a future visit.

    “It certainly wouldn’t put me off having it again,” he added. “It’s one of the best mixed grills I’ve ever had.”

    ‘I’m going…’ Last words of Woman who choked to death at Ebbw Vale restaurant
    Customer died after choking on chicken dinner in North Wales takeaway

    Source: Daily Record