• Man dies after choking on food at Somerset pub

    A man has died after choking on food at a Wetherspoon in Somerset.

    A customer at The Palladium Electric in Midsomer Norton was given CPR at the scene after he began to choke on his meal on 11th November.

    Paramedics who attended the location treated the man before being taken to hospital, where he later died.

    A spokesman said staff and customers did all they could to save the man.

    He said: “First and foremost we send our sympathies to the family and friends of the customer who passed away.

    “As soon as a member of staff was made aware of the man choking, staff and customers called the emergency services.

    “The duty manager then spoke with the emergency services. He was guided through some procedures. A customer stepped in saying they were first aid trained and started to give CPR until the paramedics arrived 5-10 minutes later and they then took over.

    “At this time the duty manager started to clear the immediate area of customers and also stopped people coming into the pub.

    “The paramedics managed to revive the customer and then an air ambulance took the customer to hospital.”

    The spokesman added: “The family of the customer called the pub the following day to say he had passed away and thanked the team for their efforts.

    “We are confident that staff responded well to the situation and refute claims to the contrary.”

    South Western Ambulance Service confirmed several resources, including the air ambulance, were dispatched to the Palladium Electric after receiving a call just before 4.20pm.

    Source: CornwallLive