fbpx
Retired GP choked in care home - Dechoker
  • Retired GP choked in care home - Dechoker

    Retired GP Choked and Died in Care Home

    A 90-year-old retired GP from Narberth who served the local community for over 40 years has died after choking in a care home.

    An inquest in Pembrokeshire heard that Dr David Ieuan Jones had poor mobility but was reportedly eating a normal diet when the incident happened in June this year.

    Staff at the nursing home noticed Dr Jones coughing so they they stood him up, but on sitting down he was making gurgling noises. They administered back slaps and cleared his mouth. He lost consciousness and staff rang 999 and began chest compressions.

    Dr Jones was taken to Withybush Hospital where attempts to save him continued, but were unfortunately unsuccessful.

    ONS Choking Statistics - Dechoker UK

    An ambulance arrived and paramedics continued CPR, as well as using a defibrillator and administering adrenaline and oxygen.

    Dr Jones was taken to Withybush Hospital where attempts to save him continued, but were unfortunately unsuccessful.

    Pembrokeshire Coroner, Paul Bennett, said Dr Jones was treated sympathetically by Woodfield and that the care home and hospital made their best efforts to save him.

    He recorded a conclusion of accidental death.