Dechoker UK
1 Billing Road, Northampton, NN1 5AL We are always here to help 0330 223 1320
0

News

Resident died in sheltered housing after choking on lunch.

Resident died in sheltered housing after choking on lunch.

A woman who lived in sheltered accommodation in Bognor Regis died after choking on a piece of ham, an inquest heard.

Marie Hopkins, 85, died at home at the Stanley Court sheltered accommodation in Montgomery Drive, Bognor Regis earlier this year.

At the inquest into her death at Crawley Coroner’s Court on Tuesday, assistant coroner Lisa Milner concluded that the retired restaurant owner’s death was accidental.

She said: “Marie Hopkins died after accidentally choking on some food; therefore, my decision concerning the death is that it was an accident.

“I would like to pass on my sincere sympathies to the family of the deceased.”

The inquest heard that the York native moved to Sussex 20 years ago to be nearer to her sister, but her health and mobility got worse over time.

The type 2 diabetes sufferer also had spine damage which meant that her legs were very swollen and she could not stand.

She had several carers to help her, and had no problem with swallowing, but could not cut up her food because her hands were weak.

However, her carers would not always cut up her food because it was not in her care plan, the inquest heard.

On the day of her death, at 9.47am, Ms Hopkins’ carers hoisted her into her wheelchair and moved her into the lounge, where she had some Weetabix with nectarine, banana and other fruits. They returned to check on her around an hour later and she was fine.

At 12.25pm, she was served a ham salad – but when her carers returned at 4.30pm, she was sitting unresponsive in her chair.

She was hoisted to the floor and she was given CPR while an ambulance was called. But when paramedics arrived, she was declared dead at the scene.

Police also attended, and found there were no suspicious circumstances.

read more
Oxford Hospital installs new equipment to prevent elderly choking deaths

Oxford Hospital installs new equipment to prevent elderly choking deaths

Oxford based St Luke’s Hospital have fitted new Airway Clearance Devices to their Latimer Road site as the charity extends patient services.

St Luke’s provides adult post-operative rehabilitation, nursing, palliative and respite care, close to the centre of Oxford. In addition to providing on-site GP services, the registered charity is close to completing their new 20 bed extension which will see resident and patient services.

On a daily basis the risk of choking can become a reality for many individuals, specialised diets and thickened fluids provide safety measures for some but the risks cannot be completely mitigated.

Operations Direction at St Luke’s, Natalie Birks said ‘At St Luke’s we pride ourselves on training our staff in many areas to maintain a safe environment for residents, patients, visitors and staff alike. As part of this we are also passionate about implementing new technologies.‘ She added.

St Luke's 20 bed extension
St Luke’s 20 bed extension

‘When came across the Dechoker felt that it was something that could be an  important asset to aid in our maintenance of safety and mitigating the severity of the consequences that can occur from choking.’

Choking kills in 10 minutes. with the elderly at significant risk due both to conditions associated with old age and the difficulties dealing with an incident when it occurs.

Existing first aid for choking relies on the person to be standing up.’ Said Matt Oakley, CEO of Northampton based Dechoker UK who supplied the equipment and staff training. ‘One of the many benefits of Dechoker is that it can be used when the patient is sitting or lying down, significantly increasing the chance of survival.

read more
Resident dies after 'period of choking' in care home.

Resident dies after 'period of choking' in care home.

A 60-year-old man died at a care home after a ‘period of choking’, an inquest has heard.

John Shreeve lived at Ivydene Residential Home in Station Road, Ormesby St Margaret, near Great Yarmouth, where he died on March 31 this year.

An inquest opened at Norfolk Coroner’s Court on Monday.

read more
'Excellence in Innovation' Award for Dechoker at Dementia Care Show

'Excellence in Innovation' Award for Dechoker at Dementia Care Show

The Dementia, Care & Nursing Home Expo Awards are designed to showcase the very best innovative and cutting edge products, services and expertise currently available to help care, nursing and residential homes.

The Excellence in Innovation Award specifically acknowledges the products and services that have noticeably improved the quality of care in the industry, with the award for 2019 going to Dechoker.

read more