Dechoker UK
1 Billing Road, Northampton, NN1 5AL We are always here to help 0330 223 1320
0

News

Carers at Kidderminster Care Home save woman who choked on sausage

Carers at Kidderminster Care Home save woman who choked on sausage

STAFF at a Wyre Forest care home have praised an innovative anti-choking device which was used to save the life of a resident who “turned blue” after choking on a piece of sausage.

First-aiders at Casa Mia Care Home in Far Forest turned to the Dechoker as a last resort after back slaps and abdominal thrusts failed to revive a woman who fell unconscious for between three and four minutes during dinner on 18th July.

read more
Passenger saves choking child aboard Ryanair flight

Passenger saves choking child aboard Ryanair flight

Teesside Live reported this week that a passenger stepped in to save a 4-year-old girl who he awoke to find choking aboard a Ryanair flight from Spain.

The Middlesbrough resident, named as Jordan Lowrie, managed to remove the sweet that was blocking the airway of little Summer Reed who was returning from holiday with her family.

read more
Care Home resident dies after choking during pub lunch visit.

Care Home resident dies after choking during pub lunch visit.

A frantic effort to prevent a care home resident from choking whilst on a trip to pub lunch took place in a South Wales restaurant, an inquest has heard.

John Owen Cole, 82, of Elliots Hill Care Home, Haverfordwest, died on February 21 this year at Withybush Hospital.

read more
2nd Worksop Care Home to use DeChoker on choking resident in 2 days

2nd Worksop Care Home to use DeChoker on choking resident in 2 days

Approaching the 2 year anniversary of our launch in the UK, it is not an unusual occurrence to receive a call from a client telling us they have used a DeChoker in a choking emergency.

What is unusual is to receive 2 calls on the same day, from 2 different clients BOTH of whom had used their DeChoker to prevent a resident from choking.

read more
Worksop Care Home praised for saving resident from choking with DeChoker.

Worksop Care Home praised for saving resident from choking with DeChoker.

Providing care for both dementia patients and people with learning difficulties presents its own challenges. And managing choking risk is a challenge more common in adult care sector in than is immediately obvious to many.

Wheelchair users are a perfect example of where the risk of choking may not necessarily be high, but managing that risk given that back blows and abdominal thrust (prev. Heimlich manoeuvre) are taught on people who are standing up.

read more
Chesterfield Care Home call on DeChoker to save a resident from choking

Chesterfield Care Home call on DeChoker to save a resident from choking

Last weekend, as the residents of Brookholme Care Home in Chesterfield were enjoying their Sunday lunch care staff became aware of a problem. Despite all the precautions being in place, one of their residents looked like they were choking.

Care staff immediately intervened and began to attempt back blows and abdominal thrusts to try and clear their airway.

read more