An elderly care home resident nearly died after choking but was saved by a carer through the use of groundbreaking technology.
Ivy, who lives at Magdalen Park Care Home in Hedon, choked on food and became unconscious less than a year after a resident an a separate care home nearby choked and died on her dinner.
But tragedy was averted by the quick thinking and actions of carer Jodie Smith, who used new technology, called a Dechoker, to dislodge the food.
“I would not of known what do if this equipment was not in use and I believe all care settings such as care homes, nurseries and schools need one,” said Ms Smith.
“They are a fantastic piece of equipment and I am very thankful this was in place here“.
Swallowing difficulties are common in the elderly and traditional first aid techniques are not always successful.
“After a choking incident earlier in the year, when a member of the team was luckily able to save a residents life using traditional first aid techniques, we decided to look into how we could better protect our residents if another choking incident occurred,” said Jonathan Garton, operations director for Yorkare Homes, who run Magdalen Park.
“Swallowing difficulties are common in the elderly and traditional first aid techniques are not always successful.
“We found Dechoker UK, and spoke with Matt their CEO, he came and demonstrated his product and we decided to put a few in each of our care homes.
“Everybody at Magdalen Park is very proud of how Jodie stayed calm under pressure and managed to use the piece of equipment to save Ivy’s life. Well done Jodie.”
Magdalen Park Care Home is operated by Yorkare Homes, and is currently rated ‘Outstanding’ by health watchdog the Care Quality Commission.
How Dechoker works
Source: Hull Daily Mail