Dechoker UK
1 Billing Road, Northampton, NN1 5AL We are always here to help 0330 223 1320
0

News

Prospect Park Hospital confirms six patients choked on food

Prospect Park Hospital confirms six patients choked on food

A hospital where three patients died from choking-related incidents also dealt with three similar, but non-fatal, cases.

The deaths at Prospect Park Hospital in Reading were publicised following a watchdog inspection, but the trust has now confirmed the three further cases.

read more
Nursing home resident choked and died on piece of bread, inquest hears

Nursing home resident choked and died on piece of bread, inquest hears

A man in a nursing home died after choking on a piece of bread given to him by a fellow resident, an inquest has heard.

Patrick Byrne (75) suffered a cardiac arrest after he choked on the piece of bread at TLC Centre, Straffan Road, Maynooth, Co Kildare on January 17th, 2017

The man, who was on a liquid-only diet, was seated at a table in the dining room where residents were having bread and tea.

read more
Dechoker prevents 6th Care Home choking death

Dechoker prevents 6th Care Home choking death

Less than 5 months since it first saved a life in the UK, and under a year since it was launched in the UK, Dechoker has once again prevented another care home resident from a choking death.

Set in the beautiful yet somewhat remote rolling fields of the Essex countryside, Dudbrook Hall dates back to the 15th Century and provides care for the elderly, those with memory impairments and Dementia.

read more
Our 5th Life Saved in 5 Months

Our 5th Life Saved in 5 Months

Dechoker are pleased to announce they have recorded their 5th life saved in the UK after their Airway-Clearance Device was called upon last week, this time at a Nursing Home in Oxfordshire.

As in all 4 previous cases, a piece of food had became stuck in a resident’s airway and who was now rapidly turning blue.

read more
Patients 'choked on hospital soft food' say NHS Improvement

Patients 'choked on hospital soft food' say NHS Improvement

Two patients are reported to have died and five more came to “significant harm” after people with swallowing difficulties were given inappropriate food, according to NHS Improvement.

The regulator received reports of hash browns, mince and sponge cake being fed to patients in England who were supposed to be on liquidised food.

Hundreds of choking or coughing incidents also occurred from 2015-17.

read more
St Michael's Homes embrace Dechoker

St Michael's Homes embrace Dechoker

Earlier this week, the care team a St Michael’s Homes in Brentwood undertook their Dechoker training in the gorgeous setting of Dudbrook Hall.

The building dates back to the 1602 and now provides nursing and residential care for over 40 residents including those with dementia.

read more
Care Home Fined £75,000 over choking death

Care Home Fined £75,000 over choking death

A care home in County Down has been fined £75,000 for a health and safety breach which resulted in a resident choking to death on a piece of orange.

Mervyn Patterson lived at Seeconnell Village Residential Home, Castlewellan, when he died in March 2014. He had learning difficulties and severe autism, and his swallow function was limited.

read more