fbpx
Dechoker UK
1 Billing Road, Northampton, NN1 5AL We are always here to help 0330 223 1320
0

News

Choking patient featured on Casualty

Choking patient featured on Casualty

This Saturday’s Casualty, the BBC drama series about the staff and patients at Holby City Hospital’s emergency department, featured an incident where a patient began to choke whilst on a ward.

The female character, who was also pregnant was slipped a sweet by her daughter despite being Nil By Mouth and on the maternity ward. Whilst eating the sweet she began to fit and it became lodged in her airway.

read more
Inspiring' campaigner died after choking on sandwich

Inspiring' campaigner died after choking on sandwich

An “inspiring” disability campaigner suffered a cardiac arrest after choking on a sandwich in a shopping centre, an inquest heard.

Robert Droy, 44, from Hulse Road in Southampton, died six days later in an Oxford hospital.

He choked on a piece of a sandwich he bought from the Paul bakery in the Westgate Oxford shopping centre.

read more
Prospect Park inquest: Coroner warns of future choking risk

Prospect Park inquest: Coroner warns of future choking risk

A coroner has warned more deaths could occur at a mental health hospital where three people died from choking on food.

Ravi Sidhu has written to Prospect Park Hospital in Reading with concerns about staff communication, training, and the care of patients at risk of choking.

It comes after evidence in a patient’s inquest raised “matters of concern”.

read more
Ambulance choke man's death 'accidental', inquest rules

Ambulance choke man's death 'accidental', inquest rules

The death of a mental health patient who choked on a McDonald’s meal in an ambulance has been ruled accidental.

David Scales, 68, requested the food at Watford Gap services on the M1 in Northamptonshire, as he was taken from London to Leeds on 3 January 2017.

He fell unconscious and died on 11 January at Northampton General Hospital after a week in a coma.

read more
CQC Inspector intervenes to prevent choking incident at inadequate care home

CQC Inspector intervenes to prevent choking incident at inadequate care home

A CQC inspector visiting an ‘inadequate’ Worcester care home had to intervene to prevent a potential “choking hazard” after a person with dementia was given a cake and tried to eat the paper packaging.

Inspectors said staff at Teme Court, in Old Road, Lower Wick, “didn’t always protect people’s right to dignity” citing an occasion when a resident’s jumper had ‘ridden up’ exposing their body and staff had walked past them without offering to help.

read more
Prospect Park Hospital confirms six patients choked on food

Prospect Park Hospital confirms six patients choked on food

A hospital where three patients died from choking-related incidents also dealt with three similar, but non-fatal, cases.

The deaths at Prospect Park Hospital in Reading were publicised following a watchdog inspection, but the trust has now confirmed the three further cases.

read more
Nursing home resident choked and died on piece of bread, inquest hears

Nursing home resident choked and died on piece of bread, inquest hears

A man in a nursing home died after choking on a piece of bread given to him by a fellow resident, an inquest has heard.

Patrick Byrne (75) suffered a cardiac arrest after he choked on the piece of bread at TLC Centre, Straffan Road, Maynooth, Co Kildare on January 17th, 2017

The man, who was on a liquid-only diet, was seated at a table in the dining room where residents were having bread and tea.

read more