A Care Home for Ex-Service Men and Women has become the first to install new, anti-choking equipment on the Isle of Wight for the safety of both staff and residents.

St Vincents in Ryde, which was recently saved from closure, took delivery of the Dechoker last week when a team visited the home and trained staff how to use the device.

Every week in the UK, at least 2 care and nursing home residents die as a result of choking related causes. Since April this year Dechoker has prevented 7 choking deaths, and company aims to save 100 lives by 2022

The home has long established links with SSAFA – the Armed Forces Charity, and as the order for the equipment happened to coincide with Remembrance Week, the manufacturer decided to donate the full £100 cost back to the local charity.

The fact it was the first time Dechoker had been installed on the Isle of Wight we wanted to do something special.’ Said Matt Oakley of Dechoker UK. “When we realised who the customer was and looked at the calendar, we knew what we wanted to do.” He continued.

Dechoker can remove the obstruction causing someone to choke in seconds, and can even be used when they are in a wheelchair. Something quite common in a care or nursing home.

Matt Oakley with two the care team at St Vincents

Sharron Atter, Registered Manager at St Vincents Care Home said, ‘The safety of our residents at St Vincents is paramount and I am always looking for new measures to put in place to improve and enhance their safety. Loss of a resident from choking, would be one loss too many, and so purchasing the device was a very easy decision.”

Dechoker in a choking emergency

She continued, “The care staff received training and were pleased that it is so easy to use.  This simple little device has now given my team a large amount of reassurance and peace of mind.

Find out more