A 93-YEAR-OLD man died after choking on food, an inquest has heard.

Keith Ernest Thomas Nicklen, 93, who lived at Fair Havens Care Home in Winchester Road, Southampton, died at Southampton General Hospital on September 17.

At the opening of the inquest into his death, Winchester Coroner’s Court heard Mr Nicklen was seen to choke on his food while eating with his family.

Pathologist Dr Vidhi Bhargava carried out a post mortem and provided a preliminary cause of death as witnessed choking, with ischemic heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease listed as contributing factors.

Acting area coroner Samantha Marsh adjourned the inquest until March 9 2020.