An inquest has heard how a patient at Northern General Hospital died after choking on a sandwich she should not have been given. Joan Howard was given the food despite warnings from her family regarding the risks.
In a response to the coroner’s report the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said that it will ‘learn’ from the incident after several concerns were raised.
The Regulation 28 report highlights several action for recommendation to ensure that similar incidents can can be avoided in the future.
Joan Howard was admitted to the Northern General Hospital on the 4th April in 2019 having previously been a patient. She had repeatedly assessed by the Speech And Language Therapy department and had a managed diet.
There is no reference in either report, of the response from the NHS Trust regarding how they responded once it was identified that Joan was choking.