• Patient told to sit up moments before choking on slice of cake, inquest hears

    A three day inquest at Reading Town Hall has started into the death of Anne Roberts.

    A mental health patient was warned to sit up moments before she choked to death on a slice of chocolate cake, an inquest has heard.

    Anne Roberts was sitting in bed at Prospect Park Hospital, in Reading, Berkshire, when she was taken her lunch but refused to eat it, rolling over onto one side.

    The 68-year-old, from Reading, was being monitored by two care assistants, Abdulhalim Uppel and Salome Nogales, who were sat outside her bedroom, after she had choked six days earlier on some mashed potato.

    Mr Uppel told the jury at an inquest at Reading Town Hall on Tuesday, September 11, that he asked Ms Roberts to sit up after she began eating the cake.

    Less than two minutes later he noticed her putting her fingers into her mouth and triggered the internal alarm on September 28 last year.

    Paul Reynolds, representing Ms Roberts’ family, asked Mr Uppel: “Were you given any instructions as to where Anne should eat after she choked on her food on September 22, and in what position she should eat her food?”

    Mr Uppel, who had been working at Prospect Park through an agency since qualifying as a healthcare assistant in June 2015, said: “No”.

    Mr Reynolds asked: “You agree she was not sat up properly to eat her food?”

    Mr Uppel replied: “Yes, she was not in the best position to eat. I was not happy with this, I wanted her to sit up properly.

    “I said, ‘Anne, can you sit up properly?’.

    “When we saw her having the first part [of cake] we were talking to her saying ‘sit properly so you can eat your food’. She was not laying down totally.”

    Mr Uppel told Berkshire’s assistant coroner, Ravi Sidhu, that while Ms Roberts refused to eat the procedure was to leave the food near her so she could eat at her own pace.

    He added: “Everything happened so quickly and in a short period of time.

    “I cannot be sure how many minutes but within two minutes, that is when she started eating I believe.

    “After she started to eat it was about two minutes before she put her fingers into her mouth. I instantly thought something was not right, I told Salome something was not right.

    “He went in to ask if everything was okay but she did not respond.”

    Paramedics were called and arrived at 1.07pm but Ms Roberts could not be saved.

    The inquest continues.


    Source: InYourArea.co.uk